The Lulu Short Story Contest is here and starts right now!
As many of you know, November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) – a great time to put your nose to the grindstone and try to complete a 50,000 word novel in under 30 days.
But we got to thinking: over 200,000 authors participated in NaNoWriMo last year and only 30,000 actually made the deadline. That leaves 170,000 dedicated and talented folks high and dry. That’s a whole lot of creativity to waste. So why not make things easier? After all, creativity is about quality, not quantity.
Thus, the Lulu Short Story Contest was born…
Throughout the month of November – all the way to December 1st – anyone can participate in our Short Story Contest and take the pressure off the creative process. Better yet, we want to help folks see their creativity available to the public as quickly as possible too, so we’re gonna help you create an eBook out of your short story that’ll go live in the iBookstore and on Barnes & Noble’s NOOK.
How to play:
- Write a 600 word short story using our handy eBook template. Download the template here.
- Follow the list of things you don’t need to worry about available here.
- Upload your work to Lulu.com and send it through the Lulu ePub Converter
- Make sure to set your work to public availability and set to “sell on Lulu, the iBookstore, Barnes and Noble, and more.”
- Once published, submit a link to your eBook’s product page, along with your name and registered Lulu email address to SurveyMonkey to help us track submissions and claim your 20% off coupon. Once submitted, you’ll receive a notice within Survey Monkey confirming your entry.
- Feel free to promote your contest submission on our Facebook and Twitter (#nanowrimo) pages too
What about prizes?!?!
This is the best part.
- $500 cash
- Barnes & Noble NOOK
- Feature in Lulu Staff Picks and Lulu Blog
- Free mentions in upcoming Lulu publicity
- Professional review of your work
- Barnes & Noble NOOK
- $100 gift card to Barnes and Noble
- 20% off coupon for next purchase on Lulu.com
Winners will be selected by a panel of Lulu judges and announced mid-December after review of all submissions. Bring on your remarkable stories for a chance to win some amazing prizes!
No purchase necessary. U.S. only. Prize packages for the Lulu Short Story Contest include: First place prize of $500, a Barnes and Noble NOOK™, publicity in upcoming Lulu materials. Second place prize of a Barnes and Noble NOOK. Third place prize of a $100 gift card to a Barnes and Noble retail store location. All participants will receive a 20% coupon good for their next purchase at Lulu.com. The maximum savings for this offer is $100. Sorry, but this offer cannot be applied to previous orders. You can only use this code once, and unfortunately you can’t use this coupon in combination with other coupon codes. This great offer expires on December 31, 2011 at 11:59 PM, so don’t miss out! We can only accept English-language content. While very unlikely, we do reserve the right to change or revoke this offer at anytime, and of course we cannot offer this coupon where it is against the law to do so. Lulu also reserves the right to make any short story submitted publicly available and to make small edits to content to aid in distribution to third-party retail stores.