YourISBN (US Only)
This service allows you, the author, to register to become your own publisher and purchase your own unique ISBN from the official US ISBN Agency. The publisher must be a resident of the United States, Guam or Puerto Rico to receive this service. When the yourISBN is purchased, we will contact you within 1-2 business days with a link to the service redemption form. After the form has been completed, it usually takes 1-2 business days to receive the ISBN via email.
This service allows you, the author, to register to become your own publisher and purchase your own unique ISBN from the official US ISBN Agency. This ISBN is directly mapped to you as the official, registered publisher. The Books In Print database and others will show your registered details as publisher. You must be a resident of the United States, Guam or Puerto Rico to get this service. If you are purchasing YourISBN to apply it to a Lulu project, it must be a size that is eligible for GlobalReach.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are ISBNs and do I need one?
An ISBN (International Standard Book Number) is a controlled, 10- or 13-digit identification number allowing publishers, libraries, and book dealers to locate books. If you received an ISBN from Lulu, the ISBN will include Lulu's prefix and Lulu will be listed as the publisher of record. If you assigned an ISBN that you own to the project, your publisher information will be listed. For more information on the history and purpose of ISBNs, see http://www.isbn.org. An ISBN is NOT needed to publish on Lulu (Lulu ISBNs are available for free in the Lulu Publishing Wizard).
An ISBN is needed to have a book distributed in the book industry commerce chain (globalREACH). Each project must have a different ISBN. A unique ISBN distinguishes between different versions of a book, helping customers to be sure that they are ordering the book they want.
- What ISBN options are available at Lulu?
Lulu supports three ISBN options:
- Lulu-owned ISBN: You can get an ISBN from Lulu for free in the Lulu Publishing Wizard. You will need to purchase a Distribution package to have your ISBN submitted to Bowker's Books in Print and Nielsen Book Data (ISBN agencies).
- Bring Your Own ISBN: Assign an ISBN you already own to your title. The imprint (publisher name and information) attached to your ISBN will remain the same and Lulu.com will not be listed as the publisher. You must be the owner of the ISBN and may not use this ISBN with any other distributor.
- yourISBN*: This option is a service for Lulu to obtain an ISBN for you from the US ISBN agency using your registered details as a publisher. After you receive your ISBN, you may assign it to a project as a Bring your own ISBN.
*Only available to US, Guam & Puerto Rico residents
The page you are attempting to access contains content that is not intended for underage readers.
Please verify your birth date to continue.