Shop

Ratings & Reviews

Log in to review this item
1 Person Reviewed This Product
  • By John Pateman
    Feb 1, 2012
    This book lists all members of the Pateman family who were recorded in the national Census which took place between 1841 – 1911. The census provides a perfect snapshot of a day in the life of the Patemans. They show who lived where, with whom and what they did for a living. The Census also recorded the number of Patemans living in Kent which increased from 38 in 1841 to 67 in 1911. Also included are registered births (276), marriages (177) and deaths (196) plus Parish baptisms (2), marriages (2) and burials (11) of Patemans in Kent. Behind the dry statistics of each census survey stood the life and times of the people it recorded. Some are just remembered by a single entry in the census records while others can be tracked across the years as they stayed in one place or moved around. For a few there is the sadness of knowing that they lived in the asylum or a workhouse. In 1851 Henry Pateman was living in the Tonbridge Union Workhouse which was built in 1836 to accommodate 400 inmates.... More > In 1850, it was decided that the workhouse should keep pigs. In 1856, a further 12 acres of land to be used for farming were purchased from Sir Isaac Goldsmidt of Summerhill. Bacon and farm produce could be used in the workhouse with any surplus being sold locally. In 1871 Thomas Pateman was living in the Medway Union Workhouse, Chatham. Built in 1849 on the south side of Chatham, All Saints' Hospital was originally Medway Union Workhouse, replacing the original Chatham Workhouse at the bottom of Chatham Hill near The Brook, in Union Street. The original workhouse is widely believed to be the workhouse featured in Charles Dickens' novel "Oliver Twist". Dickens himself lived nearby as a boy, about 200 yards away in The Brook, and also in Ordnance Terrace, about a mile or so away. From 1881 – 1911 Florence Pateman lived at the Darenth Asylum for 'imbeciles and school for imbecile children', which was erected in 1878 by the managers of the Metropolitan Asylum district (Metropolitan Asylums Board), and constituted one of the largest establishments of its kind. The school was used to house nearly 1,000 'imbecile' children and the asylum accommodated 1,500 adults. The grounds and farm comprise about 170 acres, including a small part of Darenth wood. The asylum had its own gas works and the water supply was derived from a well 250 foot deep, the water was then pumped to the two tower tanks at the rate of about 100,000 gallons per day; sewage was disposed of by irrigation on the farm land. One acre of the ground was set apart and consecrated as a cemetery. The Asylum was one of the first to attempt to train and develop mentally disabled children, by offering schooling and industrial training. In 1911 George Thomas Pateman was also living in the Metropolitan Imbecile Asylum at Darenth near Dartford. In 1891 William Pateman was living in the Workhouse at Sandhill Pembury in the Parish of Tunbridge. In 1894, the British Medical Journal set up a "commission" to investigate conditions in provincial workhouses and their infirmaries. Following a visit to Tonbridge, the commission's report noted that the sick were accommodated in three different buildings: the old (1856) hospital block, the new (1890) infirmary, and an isolation block. The old hospital block housed infirm male inmates while the 33-bed isolation block was used for venereal cases, "offensive" patients, or for measles and whooping-cough among the children. All other sick inmates were placed in the new infirmary which provided 120 beds and was generally commented upon with satisfaction. What received criticism, however, was the staffing of the establishment — the only fully trained nurse on the premises was a temporarily employed night nurse. The accommodation for nursing staff was also severely lacking. In 1901 Emily Pateman was living in the Malling Union Workhouse which was erected in 1836 at a site to the south of West Malling. It was designed by John Whichcord who was also the architect of the Union workhouses at Cranbrook, Dartford and Tonbridge. In 1836, the Poor Law Commissioners authorised an expenditure of £5,300 on construction of the building which was to accommodate 360 inmates. In 1911 Frederick & Victorine Pateman were also living in the Old Workhouse West Malling.< Less
Refreshing...
There are no reviews for previous versions of this product
Refreshing...

Product Details

ISBN
9781470973742
Edition
First Edition
Publisher
The Pateran Press
Published
February 1, 2012
Language
English
Pages
95
Binding
Perfect-bound Paperback
Interior Ink
Black & white
Weight
0.73 lbs.
Dimensions (inches)
8.26 wide x 11.69 tall
Report This Content to Lulu >

Moderation of Questionable Content

Thank you for your interest in helping us moderate questionable content on Lulu. If you need assistance with an order or the publishing process, please contact our support team directly.

How does this content violate the Lulu Membership Agreement?