Do you know the answers to these questions? (You had better, if you want to survive in the music business.)
* What can I copyright?
* Why will a Poor Man copyright keep me poor?
* Can I sell my copyright? Give it to my kids?
* What is infringement?
* What is Fair Use? (it is not what you think it is)
* How do songwriters get paid?
* What does a music publisher do? Do I need one?
* Who are ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC?
* How do cover songs work?
* What is the difference between a parody and infringement?
* What is in a record deal?
* We are putting out our own album, what do we do?
* What do all those legal terms mean?
* How do recording artists get paid?
* Am I recouped yet?
Mark J. Davis is an attorney, university lecturer, and former arbitrator for the US Copyright Office. His students have gone on to careers in the music industry after taking his classes. Rely on his 30 years of experience in entertainment law.
Lulu Staff has been notified of a possible violation of the terms of our Membership Agreement. Our agents will determine if the content reported is inappropriate or not based on the guidelines provided and will then take action where needed.
Thank you for notifying us. We will email you with the results and/or actions taken as a result of the investigation if you chose to receive confirmation.