Show Bookstore Categories

A History of Greatham

ByPeter Gripton

Usually printed in 3 - 5 business days
The present-day Parish of Greatham lies in the county of Hampshire, on either side of the old Farnham (Surrey) to Petersfield Turnpike. The ‘Domesday Book’ of 1086 recorded Greatham as being ‘Terra Regis’, a Latin term meaning ‘Land of the King’, indicating that this was once a Royal manor belonging to William the Conqueror himself. In later years, the manor passed through many families by marriage and by purchase, including the Devenish, Marshall, Norton, Freeland, Love, Chawner and Coryton families. The name of the village has changed many times, however slightly, over the years. Greteham, Grietham, Gretham, Grutham, Gratham all derived from two separate words, the ‘Old-English’ (Anglo-Saxon) ‘ham’, meaning ‘village, estate, manor or homestead’ and an old Scandinavian word ‘griot’ or ‘gryt’, meaning ‘stones or stony ground’. Thus the name ‘Greotham’ came into being, literally a ‘stony estate’ or ‘farm on gravel’.

Details

Publication Date
Oct 10, 2007
Language
English
ISBN
9780955675317
Category
History
Copyright
All Rights Reserved - Standard Copyright License
Contributors
By (author): Peter Gripton

Specifications

Pages
196
Binding
Perfect Bound
Interior Color
Black & White
Dimensions
US Letter (8.5 x 11 in / 216 x 279 mm)

Ratings & Reviews